I love the rain. But not a lot of people do, as a quick quote search indicates. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to write about rain, but the sheer lack of positive rain quotes decided for me. Rain is good. Rain is positive. It is cooling, life-giving, thirst-quenching.
Some of the “inspiring” rain quotes I found were as follows:
- “The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.” – Dolly Parton
- “One can find so many pains when the rain is falling.” – John Steinbeck
- “You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. That’s a part of it.” – Denzel Washington
Couple all of that with rain’s negative associations, and you have a truly rain-hating community. The phrase “rain on my parade”. The fact that tears are often compared to rain. The destruction that can come from rain.
Rain, like all things, has two sides. Yes, it is destructive. Yes, it can break things like my precious camera. Yes, it can wear through rocks.
Luckily, there are people, like me, who love rain. I acknowledge its negative aspects, as I acknowledge the negative aspects of my friends. I find rain calming, beautiful, meditative. As the subtitle of Rainy Mood agrees: “rain makes everything better”.
I leave you with a few gems of truly rain-loving quotes:
- “Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” – John Ruskin
- “Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.” – Langston Hughes
- “Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life.” – John Updike
So please, Rain, don’t stop raining on my parade. Rain on.